Hello Guelph family! If you have prefinished hardwood flooring, we know it is a valuable investment, and we want to help you maintain its beauty and durability over time. That’s why we’re providing you with a practical guide on how to clean prefinished hardwood floors properly.
We’ll also mention why it’s important to rely on professional cleaning services for the best results, time savings, and other benefits.
Discover how you can keep your prefinished hardwood floor in excellent condition with our tips and the assistance of our professional cleaning services. Let’s make your wood floors shine!
Related: What does a maid service include?
Why Proper Cleaning is Essential for the Longevity of Prefinished Hardwood Floors
A well-maintained hardwood floor not only enhances your home’s aesthetics but can also last for decades. Proper cleaning is crucial to prevent the accumulation of dirt, dust, and scratches that can damage the wood surface over time. This requires more than just regular cleaning, which is why specialized knowledge and suitable products are necessary to avoid damage and extend the floor’s lifespan.
Hiring professional cleaning services not only saves you time and effort when cleaning your prefinished hardwood floors but also provides the peace of mind that your floors are in expert hands. Professionals have the knowledge of appropriate cleaning techniques to maintain your floors in excellent condition and preserve their natural beauty for years to come.
Benefits of Hiring Professional Cleaning Services for Cleaning Prefinished Hardwood Floors
- Save time and money by avoiding the use of improper products or tools that may damage the finish.
- Maintain the beauty and durability of your floors by following the manufacturer’s recommendations and applying proper treatments.
- Protect your health and that of your family by eliminating dust, mites, and other allergens that accumulate in the floor’s crevices and cracks.
- Enjoy a more hygienic and comfortable environment with a clean, shiny floor that is free from unpleasant odors.
Damp cleaning vs. Dry Cleaning: What is the best cleaning method?
Although dry cleaning is the preferred option for regular maintenance of prefinished wood floors, damp cleaning should be reserved for specific cases where dry cleaning is not sufficient and should be carried out with caution by professional cleaners, using appropriate products and techniques to avoid damaging the finish.
Knowing this, the type of cleaning you will carry out to clean hardwood floors will depend on your cleaning needs and the care you have previously given it. Therefore, we will show you a table with the pros and cons of each type of cleaning.
| Protects the floor finish
Eliminates surface dust and dirt
Lower risk of damage laminate floors
| Removes stubborn stains and dirt
Provides freshness and shine
Eliminates bad odors
Allows for occasional deep cleaning
| Does not remove stubborn stains
Does not provide deep cleaning
Does not eliminate bad odors
Does not restore original shine
| Higher risk of damage if excessive water is used
May cause warping or board separation if excessive water is used
Requires more time and effort
Requires the use of specific products and care to avoid damage
Remember that both dry cleaning and damp cleaning have their advantages and disadvantages, so it’s important to consider the condition of your hardwood floor, the type of dirt, and your personal preferences when choosing the most suitable cleaning method.
How to Clean Prefinished Hardwood Floors Step-by-Step
1. Move Furniture and Delicate Object
For thorough and quality cleaning, it’s important to move furniture and delicate objects from the area being cleaned. This ensures the protection of your furniture and safety during the cleaning process. By doing so, we can reach all corners and ensure a complete cleaning of your prefinished hardwood floors.
2. Sweep and Vacuum to Remove Surface Dirt
Sweeping and vacuuming are essential steps in cleaning prefinished hardwood floors. Use specialized brushes and vacuum cleaners to remove dust, dirt, and surface debris that could scratch the wood surface. This initial step prepares the floor for deeper cleaning and prevents the spread of particles during the process.
3. Choose and Apply Specific Cleaning Products for Hardwood Floors
Selecting the right cleaning products is crucial to protect your prefinished hardwood floors. It’s important to use products specifically formulated for hardwood floors, like a wood floor cleaner with pH-neutral, avoiding harsh chemicals that could damage the floor’s finish. This way, you can effectively remove dirt and stains without compromising the integrity of the wood.
It is recommended not to use products such as vinegar, chlorine or ammonia to avoid damaging the wooden floor finish.
4. Select the Appropriate Cleaning Tools for Hardwood Floors
Using specialized cleaning tools for prefinished hardwood floors, such as a high-quality microfiber mop, can make a significant difference when it comes to hardwood floor cleaning. These tools are designed to trap dust and dirt without scratching the wood.
5. Mop Properly to Avoid Damage
Believe it or not, the way you mop prefinished hardwood floors can influence their care and durability. Therefore, it’s essential to apply professional mopping techniques that prevent excessive moisture and minimize the risk of damaging the wood.
The correct way to mop prefinished hardwood floors is by using gentle, consistent motions, ensuring even coverage of the entire floor. Additionally, use clean and quality mops to avoid transferring dirt and residue during the process.
Tips & Tricks to Clean Stains from Prefinished Wood Floor
If instead of deep cleaning you are in search of a solution for accidental stains on your prefinished wood floor, you don’t have to worry anymore. The following tricks will help you get rid of these stains and preserve its beauty.
|Type of Stain||Cleaning Solution|
|Liquid spills||1. Clean immediately with a damp cloth and dry thoroughly.
2. For stubborn stains, use a mild detergent solution and warm water.
3. Then, rinse and dry.
|Grease stains||1. Apply baking soda to the stain and gently rub with a damp cloth.
2. Then, rinse and dry.
3. If the stain persists, use a specific cleaning solution for grease stains.
|Ink stains||1. Apply a small amount of isopropyl alcohol to the stain and gently rub with a clean cloth.
2. Then, rinse and dry.
3. For persistent stains, hire a professional cleaning service.
|Pet stains||1. For urine stains, use an enzymatic cleaning solution specifically designed to eliminate pet odors following the product instructions.
2. For persistent odors, use an odor neutralizer or air purifier.
3. For saliva or other pet fluids stains, clean immediately with a damp cloth and a mild detergent solution.
4. Then, rinse and dry.
|Pet odors||1. Wash the floor with an enzymatic cleaning solution designed to eliminate pet odors.
2. Then, allow it to dry completely.
3. Use an air purifier or specific odor neutralizer to eliminate persistent odors.
4. Ventilate the room by opening windows.
Remember, it’s important to follow the manufacturer’s instructions and perform a patch test in a small, inconspicuous area before applying any cleaning product to the entire floor. If you have any doubts or stains persist, it’s recommended to seek the assistance of cleaning professionals.
How to Maintain Radiant Prefinished Hardwood Floors: Tips for Long-Term Care
Use High-Quality Rugs and Mats
We recommend using high-quality mats in the area rug and other high-traffic areas and places prone to spills. These accessories help protect your prefinished hardwood floors from scratches, wear, and stains, prolonging their beauty and durability.
Place Furniture and Chair Protectors
It’s essential to place protectors on furniture legs and chair bottoms to prevent scratches and marks on the prefinished hardwood floors. These protectors are designed to distribute weight evenly and reduce direct impact on the surface.
Schedule a Maintenance Service by a Cleaning Company
Guelph Maids offers periodic maintenance programs tailored to the needs of your home and your prefinished hardwood floors. These programs include regular visits from our cleaning team to perform deep cleaning, apply protective treatments, and provide you with personalized care tips for ongoing maintenance of your floors.
Reasons to Choose Guelph Maids’ Professional Cleaning Services
- Experience and Specialized Knowledge: Our cleaning team has experience and specialized knowledge in caring for floors. We know how to address the specific challenges of this type of surface and use appropriate techniques and products to achieve exceptional results.
- Use of Quality Products and Cleaning Techniques: We use high-quality products and safe cleaning techniques that protect and preserve the beauty of your prefinished hardwood floors. Our goal is to maintain their integrity, avoid damage, and extend their lifespan.
- Time and Effort Savings: Hiring our professional cleaning services allows you to save time and effort, as we take care of the cleaning and maintenance of your prefinished hardwood floors. You can enjoy sparkling floors without having to worry about laborious tasks and ensure superior results compared to what you could achieve on your own.
By choosing our professional cleaning services, you can enjoy spotless, durable, and protected floors. Our team of experts will take care of every detail, using specialized products and techniques to provide you with exceptional results.
Let us take care of your hardwood floors and provide you with the peace of mind of a sparkling and welcoming home.